Most Active Stories
- Here Is What It Looks Like When Traffic Engineers Design Highway Signs
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- Six Films At This Year's Miami International Film Festival You Must Not Miss
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
Sat January 26, 2013
Maltz Jupiter Theater Cements Place As Regional Powerhouse In Carbonell Award Nominations
This is actually a slight step down for the Palm Beach County theater that specializes in lavish musicals. Last year it earned 25 nominations, and eventually won in seven categories.
Three other theaters tied for second most nominations in this year's competition at 12 each: GableStage, Actors’ Playhouse, and Palm Beach Dramaworks.
The Miami Herald's Christine Dolen pointed out the sad back story to Friday's nominations: they included productions from three regional theaters that didn't survive 2012.
The big story in South Florida theater in 2012 was the loss of three award-winning companies, but Carbonell nominators didn’t forget their best work. Boca Raton’s Caldwell Theatre Company earned four nominations for its production of The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity, a Pulitzer-finalist script set in the wild world of professional wrestling. Davie’s Promethean Theatre earned three for its final production, Craig Wright’s mysterious and unsettling The Unseen, and Plantation’s Mosaic Theatre got two for its last show, Conor McPherson’s The Birds, plus one more for a play it commissioned, Joe Calarco’s A Measure of Cruelty.
The 37th annual awards will be presented on April 1 at the Broward Center for Performing Arts.
The Opera Wants You
On The Auction Block