Art Battle
12:55 pm
Wed April 30, 2014

North Miami: MOCA Suit, Actions Are A Breach

Attorney Olivia Benson, legal counsel advising the city of North Miami, discusses the city’s next steps at a press conference Tuesday announcing the city has filed a countersuit against the Museum of Contemporary Art. MOCA sued the city earlier this month for breach of contract. MOCA is planning to move its collection to the Bass Museum of Art in Miami Beach.
Credit Walter Michot / Miami Herald

The battle between the city of North Miami and the board of the Museum of Contemporary Art continued Tuesday as the city filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed by the MOCA board earlier this month, claiming that it is “legally deficient.”

The city said the board’s lawsuit and recent actions, mainly the museum’s plans to move the collection to the Bass Museum of Art in Miami Beach, are a breach of a management agreement between the city and the board. The museum board sued the city April 7, contending it failed to properly maintain the building and didn’t fund the museum’s expansion, among other issues.

“This group seems to have forgotten that they serve at the pleasure of the North Miami City Council. In other words, they work for us,” said North Miami Mayor Lucie Tondreau.

The agreement between the city and MOCA, which dates to 2008, states the MOCA board would serve as the exclusive operator of the facilities and “shall own, protect and manage the permanent MOCA collection of art, and all additions and modifications of the same.”

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com.

ldixon@miamiherald.com
hsampson@miamiherald.com