Most Active Stories
- Why Doesn't The Sunshine State Use More Solar Energy?
- Free Rides In 95 Express Lanes Coming To An End For Hybrid Drivers
- How Panama Cut Poor Kids Out Of A Florida Millionaire's Will
- Despite Pioneering Integration, Jumbo's Did Not Survive
- Sholom & Mohamed: Brothers In Spite Of Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
Art Basel 2012
Fri December 7, 2012
Painted Pianos Pop Up At Art Basel For A Second Year
If you are walking around Art Basel you are probably going to notice these ornately painted pianos.
None of them are painted the same, yet they are all part of an exciting art event playing out at Art Basel Miami for the second year.
It's called Pop Up Piano -- a public arts project put together by Steinway and Sons Miami. The project first appeared at Art Basel last year.
In the vein of full disclosure, WLRN's social media guru, Daniel Rivero, is one of brains behind this operation. He has done a great job making sure all of you know this is going on, as well as the rest of the art world.
Here is a rundown of what the project is via Pop Up Piano's website:
Eight pianos donated by Steinway & Sons Miami will be strategically placed across Wynwood, Midtown Miami, Downtown Miami, and Design District areas. Each piano will be crafted by eight artists. Art Basel week spectators will have access to tickle the ivories between three scheduled “pop-up” performances by talented musicians. After Art Basel Miami Beach week, the pianos will be donated to local charities. PUPM will also work to expand and implement specially designed music programs and workshops at some of the charities where the pianos will permanently reside. Additionally, this year PUPM will benefit Friends of the New World Symphony and the Kimbanguist Symphony Orchestra, Central Africa’s only symphony through a special fundraising concert event that will feature two legendary musicians.
If you are interested in checking out the various pianos, you can see them at these locations:
- Gigi’s, MIDTOWN MIAMI, 3470 North Miami Ave., Miami 33127, Artist: Ivan Roque
- Jimmy'z Kitchen, WYNWOOD, 2700 North Miami Ave., Miami 33127, Artist: Amaud Pages
- Tent at SOHO Beach House (Members only), 4385 Collins Ave., Miami Beach 33140, Artist: Waseone
- South Street Restaurant & Bar, DESIGN DISTRICT, 4000 NE 2nd Ave., Miami 331 37, Artist: Rodrigo Gaya
- SUGARCANE raw bar grill in Midtown, MIDTOWN MIAMI, 3252 NE 1st Ave., Miami 33127, Artist: Desiree Kawass
- Wynwood Cigar Factory and Basel Biergarten, 101 NW 24th St., Miami 33127, Artist: Ross Von Rosenberg
- Fisher Island (Private), Artist: Federico Carosio III
- Heineken Mural on 25th and 3 Ave., Artist: Ruben Ubiera
There will also be some performances you can check out here:
- SUGARCANE raw bar grill on Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p. m. Piano artwork by Desiree Kawass, Performances by Locos Por Juana and SUÉNALO
- Wynwood Cigar Factory on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7:30 p. m. Piano artwork by Ross Von Rosenberg, Performances by Juke, the Heavy Pets, and Arboles Libres
If you want to see what the Twittersphere is saying about Pop Up Piano, or if you want to tweet about it, use #pupm.