Most Active Stories
- Power To Peru: The (Quiet) Latin American Boom That's Making South Florida Swoon
- Fabien Cousteau On His Underwater Aquarius Lab Mission
- We Asked Miami-Dade Transit Why Not Every Bus Stop Has A Shelter
- David Beckham Wants To Talk To Broward County About Stadium
- Why Chikungunya – And The Mosquitoes – Are Overwhelming Haiti
Thu May 15, 2014
Senior Producer For News And Public Affairs
Station: WLRN Public Media
Company: South Florida Public Media
FLSA Status: Full-Time Exempt
Reports to: Vice President of News
Schedule: 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. or as assigned
Location: Miami, Florida
(1) Fill out the job application here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position. Email all the materials to Margarette Adam at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Senior Producer for News and Public Affairs works under the general supervision of the Vice President of News overseeing and assisting in the production of regularly scheduled and special news and public affairs programming for WLRN radio, WLRN television, and WLRN.org., including writing copy, producing and editing elements such as packages, voice-overs and sound bites, field producing, story and source development and booking guests.
1. Works with news staff to plan and research topics for news/public affairs programming and special programs as assigned. Books guests and studio time. Maintains program’s on-air, digital and social media presence.
2. Identify, gather and edit audio and video content as assigned and able to appear on-air.
3. Works with digital editor on creating new content and repurposing existing content for WLRN's digital properties, including social media, builds digital and social media audience to broaden station’s engagement with users and generate content.
4. Works with WLRN news partners including but not limited to the Miami Herald and NPR.
5. Fills-in for daily news editor, web editor, news reporters or other staff, as needed.
6. Helps organize, attends and participates in public events and community outreach as a representative of the newsroom.
7. Maintains, with digital editor, a culture of participation among WLRN’s audiences across platforms and in person -- including but not limited to updating databases, responding to audience, researching comments.
8. Participates in weekly staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
2. Five (5) years minimum experience in a broadcast media newsroom environment.
3. Strong critical judgment skills and the ability to make decisions regarding credibility and value of material to program on deadline.
4. Knowledge of South Florida news, issues and culture with strong research and communication skills.
5. Strong understanding of audience engagement and social media, and familiarity with public media news and values, including creating opportunities for the public to interact with newsmakers (building spaces for civic engagement through public media).
6. Experience in digital journalism, including reporting, researching, writing, interviewing, and digital editing.
7. Fluency and ability to operate all aspects of electronic news gathering technologies, equipment and software, practices and standards, including digital technologies and platforms.
8. Passionate advocate for the digital transformation of public media and in the potential for rapid growth in public radio’s digital audience.
9. Proven ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and partners and ability to work with little or no supervision.
10. Ability and willingness to train/mentor/coach on a daily basis staff and freelancers in best multiplatform practices.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.