Most Active Stories
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
- New Reversible Lanes In Broward Are A First In South Florida
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
- Big Sugar's Influence Stretches From South Florida To Washington
Tue November 26, 2013
Transforming Her Pain: Ligia Houben's Story
Ligia Houben left Nicaragua for Miami after her father died. She lost her familiar homeland shortly after losing her parent. As part of her grieving process, she wrote extensively. Her efforts became a self-help book that introduced 11 principles for transforming loss. She was astonished by the magic in her numbers.
Listen to her story below.
Houben now teaches classes in Ethics, Religion, and Death and Dying at Florida International University, Kaplan, and Miami Dade College.
Miami Stories is a project by WLRN, the Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald and HistoryMiami. To share your story, click here.