Most Active Stories
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
- New Reversible Lanes In Broward Are A First In South Florida
- Big Sugar's Influence Stretches From South Florida To Washington
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
Under the Sun
Mon March 18, 2013
What's Up With the Naked Carpet Guy?
Journalist Nicholas Spangler wrote in The Miami Herald, “He calls to mind Michelangelo’s David, with a mission from a more swinging time.” He was referring to Don Bailey, the naked carpet guy you’ve noticed on the billboard driving down I-95.
When we ran a poll in 2009 to find out the question our readers most wanted answered, you chose the bronzed, scantily clad Don stretched out on a burgundy shag.
The picture is an ad for Don Bailey Carpets, but the idea came from an iconic photograph from 1972 where Burt Reynolds posed for Cosmopolitan magazine in the same state of undress. It was believed to be the first male centerfold. The picture of Reynolds sold out at newsstands in a matter of days, but Bailey’s flooring ad is still with us. Maybe carpet is still sexy?
Update: Two weeks ago, Don Bailey posed for another photo shoot. Soon his delivery trucks will display the classic portrait on one side and the new photos on the other. “I still look pretty,” Don said